The National Resource Center on Children and Families of the Incarcerated at Rutgers Camden is joining the Osborne Association in New York and two California Coalitions: Alameda County Children of Incarcerated Parents (ACCIPP) and San Francisco Children of Incarcerated Parents partnership (SFCIPP) in the See Us Support Us Campaign. All month-and beyond-this-campaign will focus public attention on the needs of children with incarcerated parents, to increase their visibility and to help defeat the stereotypes and lighten the burden of the stigma they carry on their shoulders every day.

Begin by remembering that “Us” in “See Us Support Us” is not one monolithic group of children. The “US” is many faces, many faces, many stories, and many and varied circumstances. We, as a community,locally, regionally and nationally need to recognize the children with incarcerated parents not only as a group with similar needs and experiences but also as individuals-each with a unique story to tell.

Take the Pledge! to see us and support us in all of our themes and variations. It is one f the biggest steps a person can take t show the children that they are not alone, that there are people that see the hurt and want to help. Take the pledge, tell others, and become more aware of how to help how to see and how to support the children with incarcerated parents.

Jasmine’s Story

My name is Jasmine. I am assisting the NRCCFI with the See Us Support Us campaign. Here is my story.

Imagine, growing up without knowing your biological father because he’s been in jail since the day you were born. Well, that is what basically happened to e. My father was in and out of jail since my mother was pregnant with me. I only saw him a few times while I was a young child. It is still a very blurry visions. As I was growing p, all of y friends were growing up with both parents. I used to watch them with envy in my eye because I knew I was never going to be a daddy’s little girl or have that father and daughter bond. I wouldn’t have the ideal family I wanted. People often don’t realize how their decisions affect those around them. How your presence or absence can change someone’s life. Most children with incarcerated parents won’t understand this concept until they are older. I can honestly say that not having my father in my life growing up did help me become the person I am now. I had to survive and I did. I am a senior at Rutgers University, studying criminal justice. Also, I a the first n my generation to be graduating college with a Bachelor’s Degree. So, in my case, my situation resulted in a positive outcome but still the road was not an easy rad at all. I wish there was a “See Us Support Us” Campaign when I was young. But there is one now. Please take the pledge.

Thank you,

Jasine Robles & Ann Adalist-Estrin

See Us Support Us Week 2: Resiliency